Thursday, March 04, 2010

Voltcraft DL-140TH - data download fails

When building a house you sometimes want to continously monitor temperature and humidity. There are a few devices that can do that. Many of them can be programed via USB. The cheaper ones rely on the host PCs clock to make sense of the recordings while the more expensive ones carry an internal clock.

I got a Voltcraft DL-140TH. I can collect data for about 11 days if you program it to measure temp and humidity every two minutes. Unfortunately there is not software to read the data from GNU/Linux. A basic Windows software is available.

The other day I programed it and let it sit for 11 days. When I tried to get the data off the device it would download but not display it. It took two days and a bit of luck to find out that you cannot get a useful data transfer on USB 2.0 ports. When I plugged it into a USB 1.1 port it would work without a hitch.

So remember to plug it into an USB 1.1 port if you have trouble reading the data. If anyone has information on how to read that data on GNU/Linux I would like to hear about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home